“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
— Martin Luther King Jr.

A Knowledgeable Administrative Law Attorney

Administrative law is any area governed by a state or federal agency that administers certain programs. It can include, among other things, the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL), Employment Security Department (ESD), Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), and Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I). An administrative law judge (ALJ) decides disputes at an administrative hearing. These decisions and orders are just as legitimate as those from any other type of court, and failure to obey them can result in fines or jail time.

Social Security Disability Hearings

For many people, applying for disability benefits can be difficult, as the vast majority of claims are denied at the initial level and even at the administrative reconsideration as well. Where most applicants find success is when they present their application and testimony to an ALJ who will make their own determination of your case. I can help you with your reconsideration and represent you at your hearing so that you can have a fair chance at getting your application approved.

Workers’ Compensation

You’ve been injured at work, and you filed a claim for your injury. Now, L&I says you have reached Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI) and wants to close your claim early. But you haven’t completed your doctor’s recommended treatment and your injury hasn’t healed completely. What do you do? How do you stop this from happening?

I can help you get all the treatment you deserve so you recover from your work injury as much as possible. In more severe cases involving work injuries, I can fight to get you additional compensation. You may be able to receive a disabled classification that designates you as either partially or totally disabled, and whether that disability is temporary or permanent. That designation can provide you with a a one-time payment (or award) for your injury or a monthly payment that will compensate you as a result of a permanent disability you suffered from a work injury.

Unemployment Claims

If you’ve been laid off or fired, it’s possible that your unemployment claim was denied. Filing your claim with the ESD can be difficult and confusing. Maybe you made a mistake on your claim, and now it’s been denied. Or, the ESD denied your claim based on statements by your employer that were just wrong. Or worse, the ESD said they overpaid you and want that extra money back.

You’ve read the instructions on filing an appeal, but what do you include? What’s relevant and what’s not? Do you know the law well enough to give the ESD a legal reason to pay you unemployment benefits?

I can answer all those questions and get your claim back on track. I can file an appeal for you and represent you at your administrative appeal hearing. I can gather evidence on your behalf to show that the ESD was wrong to deny your benefits based on your employer’s statements. I can also fight the ESD’s claim that they overpaid you. If the challenge is successful, then you won’t have to pay back the alleged overpayments. At the very least, I can save you a substantial amount of money.

DOL Issues

Issues involving the DOL include:

  • License suspension/revocation hearings
  • Restricted licenses
  • Habitual traffic offender (HTO) charge
  • Failure to appear (FTA) charge

The DOL will suspend or revoke your driver’s license for many reasons, including receiving a DUI. If your license has been suspended or revoked, I can represent you at any hearings and help you navigate the bureaucracy of the DOL. My name is Timera C. Drake, and I can help you reinstate your driver’s license. Talk to me at Drake Law Offices, PLLC, to find out how I can represent you and get you back “on the road to driving” again.

Need Help With An Administrative Law Issue?

If you need help with an issue involving administrative law, then you may want to hire a lawyer. Here at Drake Law Offices, PLLC, I can provide the guidance you need for your administrative law issue. Call me today at 425-504-7346 or use my online contact form.